The first recordings we did were using two condenser mics set up in a rumpass room. The whole process was very quick and the finished product was good enouh for a demo. All tracking, mixing and mastering was done on Cubase.
The latest recordings were tracked in the same rumpass room, but this time using shure dynamic instrument mics for drums and guitars and D.I for the bass. The first process was to produce guide and click tracks. Then the drums were tracked followed by bass, guitars and then vocals.
We wanted to tottaly produce these recordings by ourselves so it was going to be trial and error and lots of learning as we went along. The tracking process took a couple of months. Having a home studio means we have the luxury of taking our time.
Tracking the drums was probably the toughest thing trialing mic placements and the position of the kit in the room. But after some research and some interesting mattress placements we were happy with the drum sound.
The bass and guitars were a lot easier. Bass was direct and we recorded the guitars with instrument mics on the amps. After all the tracking was complete we upgraded our cubase and bought some uad plug ins. Then the mixing process began.
The first song we wanted to produce is called "Don't Care". So it was first up on the chopping block. Once again Drums are mixed first followed by bass, guitars and vocals last, followed by an over all mix before final mastering. The song submitted is a rough master and we should have a finished master in the next couple of weeks.
Further information is available at www.1989.com.auCome on the FREE COURSE TOUR