ReWire Capabilities Added to Intuem
September 24, 2004
Responding to customer requests, Intuem RW has full ReWire 2 support, audio play-through, a newly designed Mixer, several new "Pro" features, and a host of convenience features.
Intuem RW works with any ReWire 2 device, and can receive almost any combination of audio channels from a ReWire device, as well as send MIDI to any defined bus/channel on a ReWire device. Intuem RW's new audio play-through feature lets users apply AudioUnit effects to incoming audio in real-time, and that includes ReWire audio input. Users can now listen to audio input as it will be recorded and effected before and while recording, and can listen to ReWire devices just as easily as internal DLS/SF2 MIDI instruments.
Released as a Preview, Intuem customers have a chance to see the new version early. Instead of offering a pre-order where customers pay out but receive nothing, Intuem RW is available to both new and to existing Intuem users as an upgrade. Furthermore, the upgrade is priced at only $39USD for the short time before the Final Release becomes available as a thank-you to long-time customers. The upgrade price will be $49USD once the Final Release is available. The Preview Release (both full & upgrade) can be traded-in for a free copy of the Final Release when it becomes available.
Intuem RW 3.0.0 Preview Release in full detail:
- Intuem is now a ReWire mixer application with full support for ReWire devices as MIDI destinations and as audio sources. Intuem automatically manages your ReWire connections and devices for you allowing you to open them from within Intuem via the preferences or inspector, and even automatically opening any of them when Intuem starts. Open ReWire devices automatically appear as MIDI destinations for MIDI tracks and as audio sources for audio tracks. Freezing ReWire audio tracks and converting ReWire MIDI tracks to audio is fully supported also.
- Audio play-through now lets you hear what you're recording before you record it to check levels, and while recording to know you're getting it down. Play-through works on ReWire audio tracks too so you can hear what you're streaming. If your tracks have AudioUnit effects they will be applied as part of play-through--a complete audio editing and experimenting environment.
- A new darker look just for Intuem RW and it is now the standard appearance. With the darker style come options to show micro, notation, mega and audio tracks with dark backgrounds to blend in well with the new style, or in lighter colours to make it easier on your eyes in a brightly lit room. The brushed metal and Aqua appearances are still available.
- The Mixer now has two appearance styles, the original brushed metal and the new standard Intuem RW style with new easier to read controls, and a special Graphic EQ control.
- The mixer has new modes available as part of the new appearance style to make it more intuitively easier to use. You can now choose to have the mixer be the single master-control for all controllers--completely superseding any recorded automation. Alternatively you can set the mixer to be a complete slave to the recorded automation. In both cases you can also engage an "Overwrite" mode where changes made to the controls are recorded as automation.
- Added the option to change the playback speed of a composition from 1/4x to 3 times normal speed. Speed can be specified as a simple multiplier (like 2x) or in terms of pitch by +/- one octave in 1 cent intervals. The current playback speed is saved with the document and you can make a default document with a specific playback speed.
- Can now drag and drop audio files from the finder into Intuem. When dropping a file on a document window's title bar a new track is made with the audio clip, and when dragging into a track the clip is inserted right after the scrubber and the scrubber advances to the end of the new clip.
- Controller tracks for AudioUnit instruments can be viewed and edited like the Tempo track.
- In 10.3.x (Panther) you can preview audio files before importing them.
- Added the ability to order AudioUnits into groups. Intuem will automatically put newly installed AudioUnits into groups by manufacturer. You can put your AudioUnits into any kind of group structure you like.
- Can now refit notes without the refitters on-screen by selecting notes to refit and choosing a duration from the "Refit Selection to..." sub-menu. Furthermore, when the refitters are on-screen, you can snap them to the start and end of a selection.
- Can now loop over a selection in one step. After choosing the menu command or entering the keyboard shortcut Intuem will set the loop start and end points around the current selection and begin playing & looping it.
- Addressed a number of bugs and issues.
Minimum: G3 Macintosh (preferably 500MHz or faster) with 512Mb RAM running Mac OS X version 10.2.6 (Jaguar) to 10.3.0 (Panther). The company recommends testing the performance of your G3 system with the free Try Out version of Intuem. Recommended: Dual Processor G4 Macintosh with 512Mb RAM running Mac OS X version 10.3 (Panther). USB MIDI Interface MIDI Keyboard with on-board sounds.
Intuem RW 3.0.0 Preview Release is available now for $79USD and as an upgrade for existing Intuem 1, 1.5, 2.0 & 2.1 owners for $39USD. Preview Release owners will receive a free copy of the Final Release. Once the Final Release is made available, the upgrade price will become $49USD.
For more information, visit their web site at www.intuem.com