Red Announces Their First Microphone: the Type B
January 20, 2005
Red's Type B is an affordable Class A discrete solid state mic exclusively designed for Red by Blue Microphones as a foundation for interchangeable capsules. Included with the Type B microphone body is the Red Lollipop Capsule, an all-around capsule designed to be as versatile as possible, with applications ranging from vocals to electric and acoustic guitars, close-miking of drums, drum overheads, percussion, piano, horns, strings and just about any other application. In addition to the microphone, and capsule, the Type B also includes the Type B Accessory Pak, with Blue's high-definition 22-AWG Cranberry mic cable and Type B Shockmount.
Precision-designed and hand-assembled, the Type B's unique bayonet top can accommodate a variety of new and vintage lollipop-style capsules, including classic Neumann-Gefell capsules and Blue's renowned line of Bottle microphone capsules, The Bottle Caps. In short, the Type B offers the user a wide variety of recording applications right at their fingertips -- at an affordable price.
Available through Red, The Vintage Microphone Online Store, as well as Red-authorized dealers, the Type B will sell for $699 and be available in February, 2005.
Established by Blue Microphones, Red features a world of vintage-style parts and accessories, from hard-to-find replacement capsules and shockmounts to cables, pop filters and custom storage solutions to protect valuable mics.Red's comprehensive online store can be accessed at www.vintagemicrophone.com.
- Acoustical Operating Principal: Pressure gradient
- Directional Pattern: Cardioid (w/Red lollipop capsule)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz -- 20kHz
- Sensitivity (1kHz into 2.5kOhm): 27mV/Pa
- Rated Impedance: 50Ohm
- Rated Load Impedance: Not less than 1kOhm
- Noise Level A-weighted (IEC 651): Not more than 7.5dB
- Max Output (1% THD into 2.5kOhm): 12dBV = 3.1V
- Max SPL (0.5% THD into 2.5kOhm): 138dB
- Dynamic Range (2.5kOhm load): 130dB
- Supply Voltage (IEC 268-15): +48V phantom power (+35V min.)
- Current Draw (Typical AI +48V): 1.8mA
The Bottle Caps
- B0: Large Diaphragm Cardioid -- Bright (Elam 251 reference)
- B1: Small Diaphragm Cardioid (Schoeps 221b, 451and 452 (CKI) reference)
- B2: Large-Diaphragm Figure of Eight (RCA 44 Vintage Ribbon reference)
- B3: Medium Diaphragm Cardioid (Neumann U89, TLM 170 reference)
- B4: Small Diaphragm Perspex Sphere Pressure Omni (Neumann M50 reference)
- B5: Large Diaphragm Pressure Omni (Neumann/Gefell M55k reference)
- B6: Large Diaphragm Cardioid (AKG C12 reference)
- B7: Large Diaphragm Cardioid (Neumann U47, U48 reference)
For more information, visit their web site at www.vintagemicrophone.com