Onyx Series Expanding to Include Live Consoles
September 20, 2004
Mackie used this year's PLASA show to preview its new family of premium live sound consoles, the Onyx 80 Series. Like the Mackie Onyx small-format analog mixers introduced earlier this year, the Onyx 80 Series consoles feature all-new analog circuitry, a full compliment of Mackie's flagship Onyx microphone preamps, and the "British Voiced" four-band Perkins EQ.
The Onyx 80 Series consoles will be offered in four sizes: the 24-channel Onyx 2480, 32-channel Onyx 3280, 40-channel Onyx 4080, and 48-channel Onyx 4880. All four models incorporate features that any hardcore live engineer will appreciate including eight Aux Sends with Stereo Link function for up to four IEM mixes; an Aux/Group Flip function; an 10x2 Matrix; four Mute Groups; eight stereo Aux inputs; and an optional rack-mountable redundant power supply. The master section and channel strip configuration are the same across the line, the mixers differ only by channel count and footprint.
In addition to the features set, Mackie invested significant resources to ensure that the 80 Series consoles are durable enough to handle pretty much anything that regular road use can dish out. Extreme chassis rigidity is achieved through a modular bucket design and the addition of several heavy-duty aluminum I-beam extrusions that run the entire length of the chassis.
The Onyx 80 Series will begin shipping in mid 2005.
Key Onyx Series 80 Series Features:
Channel Strip Features:
- Onyx microphone preamps on every channel
- 4-band Perkins EQ with hardware bypass
- 48V Phantom Power, Mic/Line, 100Hz High-pass, and Polarity switches
- 8 Auxiliary sends with Pre/Post switches
- Auxiliary Send Stereo Link feature for IEM applications
- Direct Outputs on DB-25 connectors (8 channels per connector)
- 4 segment LED level indicators
- Smooth, long-throw 100mm faders
- Mute, and PFL Solo switches
- Balanced XLR mic and 1/4" line inputs, plus 1/4" insert jack
Master Section Features:
- 8 Stereo Aux Inputs w/ 60mm faders, 4-band fixed Perkins EQ and 4-segment LEDs
- 8 Auxiliary Send Masters with balanced 1/4" output, 1/4" insert, Mute and AFL Solo
- 8 Groups with 100mm faders, balanced 1/4" output and 1/4" insert, Main Mix assign, Pan, Mute, AFL Solo and 4-segment LED meters
- 8 Aux Master / Group Flip switches
- 10 In x 2 Out Matrix with balanced 1/4-inch outputs
- 4 Mute Groups
- Balanced XLR Talkback Mic input with routing to all Aux Sends, Groups and Main Mix
- Dual 100mm Main Mix faders
- Phones / Monitor section with Solo, Monitor and Phones level
- Main Mix to Monitor / Phones switch
- Big pair of 12-segment tri-color LED meters dedicated to Main Mix and Solo levels
- Power Indicator LEDs for +15V, -15V, +48V and +12V power supply rails
- Rude Solo Indicators for AFL and PFL
For more information, visit their web site at www.mackie.com