Subscribe to access our latest, up-to-the-minute articles with hints, tips and adventures in audio in the weekly Audio Masterclass Newsletter.
Learn audio online with the Audio Masterclass Studio Recording and Production Course - enrolling until Friday with 20% discount - use promo code SEPT2017 at the checkout >>
Such was the reaction of my first client at Happybeat. It is just a little domestic room that sounds good, with no acoustic treatment other than purple psychedelic curtains.
Other than my ears, this is what it has in it...
- Recorders and mixers
- Yamaha MD4 Minidisc recorder with simple console
- Sony 788 4 channel, high speed, reel to reel multitrack
- Brenell Series 5, all valve, high speed stereo 2 track, circa 1968.
- Digital editing and restoration, analog or digital mastering, with the usual plug-in suspects.
- Knight, 3-way,1960's: American cabinets, but Goodmans speakers inside! They sound like old Tannoys. Cardboard cones.
- Magnavox 1970s: cost $2! And sound like it! There are also several other sets of awful smaller speakers for cross referencing.
- Sony electret condensers, pair, 1971.
- Philco stereo mic, 1960's, omni: Looks like a hand grenade. A dynamic mic with 4 capsule pick up.
- Grampian DP4 dynamic: quintessential early 60's British live mic.
- Empire Made 60's crystal mic
- Realistic stereo electret condenser, 1970's: looks like a bug.
- Hong Kong 60's pencil dynamic: no manufacturer.
- And several other oddities for fx.
- dbx 117, x 2: early 70's pre-amp/compressor/expander
- Aphex 109 tube parametric eq
- Omnisonix 801 imager - magic box
- Behringer autocom compressor/gate
- Alesis Microverb 3: which means there are 3 settings worth using.
- Pioneer SR202 Spring Reverb, 70's with psychedelic light
- Numerous Casio and Yamaha keyboards and synths from 1970's to date: all with drum machines, from the little toy ones to big toy ones.
- Epiphone Casino, 1961.
- Hofner Beatle Bass, 1964.
- Shaftesbury electric 12 string, 1970.
- Acoustic 6 and 12 string guitars.
- FET amp and cab, early 70's,
- Trixon Drums 1950's.
- Lots of percussion
- Nice toys to play with
- Muson Synthesiser, 1978, ages 4 to adult
- Mick Jagger Plastic Maraccas
- Big Headphones
- Brad Lloyd's Acoustic Explorer 1 science project
- My Songmaker 8 special sound effects
- Knitted kkunk pop shield