David Mellor is the founder and Course Director of Audio Masterclass currently residing in the beautiful countryside of Oxfordshire in the United Kingdom. He has worked in audio education since 1986 in hands-on training, lectures and online. David Mellor holds the degree of B.Mus (Tonmeister) from the University of Surrey where he studied music, piano performance, acoustics, electronics, electro-acoustics and recording.
Live Sound and Recording Engineer
David Mellor worked as theatre sound engineer at London's Royal Opera House, with activities including sound design, front-of-house operation, stage monitoring and electronic design satisfying the likes of Luciano Pavarotti, Placido Domingo, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa and Karlheinz Stockhausen. David Mellor toured with the Royal Opera Company to the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Los Angeles, USA; the Odeon of Herod Atticus, Athens, Greece; the Sejong Center, Seoul, South Korea; the Bunka Kaikan, Tokyo, Japan.
Musician and Composer
Since 1985 David Mellor has had more than 1000 works published in the field of production music, including the Chappell and Carlin music libraries (now combined into Universal Publishing Production Music) and his own music library for which he has produced seventeen compact discs. Notable uses of his music include the BBC's Horizon, Fahrenheit 911, and The Oprah Winfrey Show.
Writer and Educator
David Mellor has been actively involved in Audio Education since 1986, teaching students of City of Westminster College and Westminster University, and also returning to lecture at Surrey University. He has also written for magazines including Sound on Sound, Audio Media, Studio Sound, Sound & Video Contractor. He has also written four books on audio and video technology. David Mellor now specializes in online audio education and has been Course Director of Audio Masterclass since 2001.
The Audio Masterclass Professional Course in Mastering (Fully Assessed and Certificated)
This course covers all of the processes of mastering that are in regular use in recording studio operations. The twelve modules cover preparation for mastering, resolution of mixing errors and defects, equalization, compression, limiting, and harmonic enhancement. Applications include mastering for CD and download, meeting current market requirements for mastering, repurposing and mastering of compilations.
The course is entirely practical and is assessed solely on the learner's practical assignment work. Text and graphic support materials are provided as appropriate, and the course includes audio example files demonstrating mastering techniques.
The outcome of the course will be an enhanced level of knowledge, skills and experience in mastering techniques.
You can study the Audio Masterclass Professional Course in Mastering online or by downloading all of the course materials to your own computer. The course can be completed in 12 weeks, or you can spread it out over up to two years if you wish. You can work on the course at any time you choose, and take breaks whenever you like.
Each of the twelve modules of this course includes a practical assignment project that you can work on in your own home recording studio using digital audio workstation software. The assignments include tasks that are typical of a professional recording environment. The challenges are tough, but full instruction is given, often with audio examples and demonstrations.
This is the fully-assessed version of the Audio Masterclass Professional Course in Mastering. Study centers around the practical assignment projects of the course and the assessments you will receive.
You can submit each of your twelve practical assignment projects to Audio Masterclass for our assessment, comments and advice. Our assessments are detailed, friendly and helpful. We will tell you exactly what you are doing right, what could be better, and how you can improve. Re-submissions are welcome.
You will receive the Audio Masterclass Professional Certificate in Mastering on successful completion of the course.
What are the requirements for this course?
- You must already have passed or be a student enrolled on the Audio Masterclass Music Production and Sound Engineering Course, or have an equivalent qualification or experience
- Up-to-date computer with an Internet connection and digital audio workstation software
- Audio interface
- Loudspeaker or headphone monitoring
- A huge drive to learn through a structured, challenging course of instruction
What will I get with this course?
- Detailed course manual with text and images describing aspects of mastering that are relevant in the professional recording process
- Audio examples files with detailed explanations
- Twelve practical projects covering a wide range of compression skills
- Assessment, commentary and advice on your submissions
- An Audio Masterclass certificate on successful completion of the course
Who should take this course?
- Any home recording studio owner with a particular interest in mastering who wants to achieve a professional standard in their work
- Composers who wish to work with modern technology
- Songwriters who want to record their own songs and backing tracks
- Anyone with an ambition to enter the music industry as a producer or engineer
- Anyone with an ambition to work in the live sound or broadcast industry
- If you want to be able to record, mix and master to a standard equal to that of a commercial release